As I’m sure you’re aware — it’s an impossibly lovely day out today. In fact, the weather this week looks downright summerish. So to celebrate these jacket-free times, why not keep the oven off this week and make a dinner salad you can throw together in minutes, perhaps for an impromptu picnic? (Even if it’s just on your fire escape — it still counts!)
Here are some suggestions, culled from around the web:
- Sesame Orange Chickpeas, Cabbage and Soba Noodles from Naturally Ella. Soba noodles are great cold, and they add a bit of heft to healthy fare.
- New York Style Chopped Salad from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Because anything healthy tastes better with a blue cheese dressing, right?
- Mostly Raw Kelp Noodle Salad from Scandi Foodie. Because there’s one exception to the above rule — on a really hot day, creamy dressings fall flat. This is, perhaps, a more inviting option.
- Fennel and Raisin Salad with Walnut Croutons from Big Girls, Small Kitchen. This winter-to-spring salad pulls inspiration from rustic Italian cooking for a classic combination.
- Watercress and Forbidden Rice Salad from Cookie + Kate. Black wild rice makes this dish — filled with otherwise ordinary ingredients — look exotic.
- Bluefin Nicoise with Lemon-Pepper Mayonnaise from Island Menu. I will never find a salad I like better than a good Nicoise — and this one, with homemade mayonnaise and freshly seared tuna, fits the bill.